At our 65-bed coeducational Inpatient facility in Saranac Lake, clients generally reside with us for 90 days, an extended stay that is longer than most treatment facilities. Experience proves that a lengthened, holistic approach to chemical dependency treatment is very effective in attaining and maintaining sobriety. Our comprehensive program focuses on client-centered care that addresses the specific needs of each client.
Our Integrated Holistic Approach to Treatment:
Beginning with a thorough assessment, individuals move through a time-tested process of education, individual therapy and group counseling. St. Joseph's unique mountain setting inspires reflective thought and introspection. The physical environment of our treatment center complements the therapeutic process, easing the mind and elevating the individual above the addiction. St. Joseph's Inpatient services include:
- Comprehensive Evaluations: nursing/medical, bio-psycho-social, psychiatric evaluations and medication monitoring.
- Educational Presentations: substance use disorders, chemical dependency, pharmacological aspects of addiction, self-esteem, health/tobacco, HIV/AIDS, emotions, relationships/love, relapse prevention, etc.
- Individual Counseling: nutrition, family relationships, STDs, nicotine dependence, educational videos, trauma and abuse.
- Specialized Groups: women's groups, men's anger management, conflict resolution, assertiveness training, life skills, grief, transition/treatment to aftercare, spirituality, GED classes, job readiness, mindfulness-based relapse prevention.
- Pastoral Care Services: individual sessions, spirituality, grief issues, resentments to forgiveness, prayer & meditation.
- Recreation: yoga, Tai Chi, aerobics, arts & crafts and hiking.
Specialized Services: St. Joseph's integrated approach to addiction treatment addresses all aspects of personal recovery. We offer individualized lengths-of-stay, extensive family services, mental health services for co-occurring disorders, spirituality, recreation therapy, a statewide supportive fellowship network, specialized services for women, and treatment approaches focusing on the needs of clients involved in the legal system.
Adirondack Therapeutic Recreational Activities: Therapeutic recreation is an important element of our treatment approach. We encourage each individual to take advantage of the facility's pristine mountain environment through a variety of outside activities including nature walks, hiking, volleyball, and many other recreational opportunities.
St. Joseph's philosophy is that recreational pursuits build stamina, confidence and mental and physical strength. The activities serve to inspire creativity, encourage problem solving and promote team building—skills that translate into other aspects of personal rehabilitation.
Intensive Spiritual Program: We believe that an affirming relationship with self, others and a higher power of one's personal understanding is critical to successfully recovering from the disease of addiction. At St. Joseph's, spirituality has an important place in everyone's recovery program, no matter whether one is a believer in a god, is an atheist, or agnostic. Accordingly, residents are assisted in developing a spiritual recovery program through supportive relationships and through fellowship with one another.
Aftercare: From the onset of treatment, St. Joseph's works with each individual to establish goals and to create an action plan for continuing recovery. Residents must be open to aftercare planning, which may include a stay of three (3) months in a Guest House or 6 - 12 months or more in a community residence or other alcohol and drug-free residence upon successful completion of St. Joseph's inpatient program. The individual's referring source may be actively involved in the Aftercare Planning process.